- Five Labor MPs have now announced their departure from politics in 3 days
- Member for Lara, John Eren, has announced he will not recontest next election
- Comes after four other MPs said they would not seek re-election this week
- Party enters crisis mode with more resignations expected in wake of exits
- The Victorian Premier’s Labor party still has a comfortable majority
Published: 16:38 AEDT, 26 November 2021 | Updated: 18:33 AEDT, 26 November 2021
Daniel Andrews’ Labor government has lost a fifth MP in just three days with the Premier announcing a former minister won’t be contesting the next election.
The Victorian premier announced John Eren was retiring from politics on Friday afternoon.
Mr Andrews said he was ‘grateful’ for the friendship he shared with Mr Eren, who was the longtime member for Lara, north-east of Geelong.
‘I wish John and his family the very best for the future. I’m grateful for his friendship and support, just as I’m grateful for his contribution to the Parliament, the Government and his local community,’ Mr Andrews said.